Old Godhelmian Association Newsletter (3)
Dear Old Godhelmian,
Welcome to our third newsletter! Things are progressing well with the OGA. We have a lot going on to tell you about, in particular the approaching reunion and the launch of the new website.
• To date (September 2019) 367 people have confirmed their membership of the OGA.
• The “Surrey Advertiser” (23rd August) published an article announcing the revival of the OGA together with the latest information about the Reunion on 19th October 2019. We hope that they may attend the event at some point and write a feature about us.
• It is now a year since we first asked for donations and although the website has been funded economically it has still been a significant expense. If anyone could possibly donate again it would help a great deal. You can now make donations through the website using the secure Stripe system. Just follow the instructions on the screen.
• If you prefer, however, you can send your donation electronically to:
o Account name: Old Godhelmian Association
o Sort Code: 08 92 99
o Account number: 65719682
o Please identify yourself and use OGA as the reference.
o If you prefer to send a cheque, please make it out to Old Godhelmian Association and send to:
o Mrs Caroline Brooks, 2 Treloar Road, Hayling Island, Hants, PO11 9SE.
• The website (theoga.org) has been updated by Richard Hindle with support from Mary Pugh and is now live.
• Archive material (photographs, obituaries, history, etc.) from the original website has mostly been retained.
• Please register for access to the various sections.
• The next phase of the website is to upload copies of The Godhelmian and have a search facility within that publication and for members of the Association.
• We would be grateful for GGS images, in high definition. Please send in digital form to Mary (email@example.com).
• Currently there are three Facebook pages for ex-pupils of Godalming Grammar School:
o GGS School Reunion 2017 (a closed group set up for that specific purpose)
o Godalming Grammar School Reunion (a public group set up for a specific reunion)
o Godalming Grammar School (a closed general group)
• Godalming College has a Facebook page.
• There is another interesting Facebook page for Godalming Town Past & Present.
• Twitter – @Godalming Grammar School, @ Godalming College
• Instagram – Godalming College
• Please let us know about any other useful sites.
• An informal reunion will take place at the Inn on the Lake, Ockford Road, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1RH, on Saturday 19th October 2019. The reunion at the Inn will be completely flexible and you can come and go as you please from 11.00 a.m. until 11 p.m.
• The OGs can visit the Second World War memorial on Saturday 19th October at 10.30 a.m. at the College. A few words will be said by a member of the committee and you will be welcome to add your own thoughts. The formal ceremony for the reinstatement of the memorial will take place at the College in November. This is because the College feels it is important that the younger generation is aware of and learns about the service of those who have gone before.
• We attach a list of the probable attendees by year.
• If you would still like to attend, but haven’t let us know yet, please reply to Eleanor Andrews (firstname.lastname@example.org or 8 Church Street, Bridgnorth WV16 4EQ).
• Food and drinks can be purchased from the Inn (01483 419997, https://www.theinnonthelake.co.uk/) and you are welcome to contact them to pre-order food. The menu is attached. It would be a great help to the Inn if you could indicate an approximate time of arrival. Tea and coffee will be available all day and will be paid for by the OGA.
• You are welcome to bring photos or other memorabilia for others to see, but please make sure they are labelled with your name and contact details, just in case they go astray.
• One of the OGs (Joan Longhurst / née Armes) has found the words and music to the school song, so if you know it, we might have a sing-along at some point in the proceedings.
Godalming County Grammar School 90th Anniversary Reunion 2020
• The College buildings have been booked for Saturday October 17th 2020 – details to be confirmed later. The Reunion will be a full day event. We hope that as many people as possible will be able to come to celebrate the 90th anniversary of the foundation of the school.
With all good wishes, and looking forward to seeing many of you soon at the reunion.
The OGA committee
Eleanor Andrews (née Whitcombe) – Secretary
Caroline Brooks (née Bailey) – Treasurer
Shirley Coleman – President
Hazel Freeston (née White)
David Hayes 65 – 72
66 – 71
65 – 72
47 – 54
66 – 71 Susan Hindle (née Potts)
Mary Pugh (née Pout) – IT Co-ordinator
Marta Riddle (née Grabiec)
Judy Stoker (née Bennett)
Steve Teague 65 – 72
65 – 72
65 – 72
55 – 62
70 – 77