Old Godhelmian Association Newsletter (6)
Dear Old Godhelmian,
A great many things have changed since we were last in touch. We hope that you and your families are all safe and well under the extraordinary conditions that we are living through.
• To date (April 2020) 393 people have confirmed their membership of the OGA. However, only 68 people have registered on the Website.
• Please register on the website (theoga.org) in order to access the full range of information and photographs.
Godalming County Grammar School 90th Anniversary Reunion Saturday October 17th 2020
• At the time of writing (April 2020), the OGA committee has decided that the 90th-anniversary reunion will go ahead as planned. The situation will be reviewed next month.
• Details and a timetable of events will be distributed in due course.
• Below is a table of the numbers interested in the various activities during the day.
Event Number of People interested
Founders’ Day Service 71
• We have narrowed down the many suggestions for activities that we received. These are what we hope to hold:
1. Founders’ Day service at St Peter and St Paul, Godalming in the morning.
2. Lunch and Afternoon Tea at the College.
3. Skype/Zoom video calls to people living far away or overseas or those unable to make the journey to Godalming.
4. A memory board will be provided where people can leave their memories of being at the school. At a later date this could become a booklet with a fuller history of the school (architecture, ethos, WW2, traditions) than appears on the website.
5. An exhibition of memorabilia.
6. On the spot website membership.
7. An informal get together at the Inn on the Lake in the evening.
8. The original School Song.
9. Good quality group photos. Professional photographer Pete Gardner will be taking the formal photos. Joan Palmer has offered to take more informal shots.
• There will be individual costs involved (tbc) for lunch and afternoon tea at school and the event at the Inn on the Lake. Tickets will be issued for each separately.
• You may recall that last November the Second World War Triptych at Godalming College was restored and rededicated. One of our members, Rod Weale, has written a book about the men whose names appear on the memorial. The 70-page book includes personal details of each former pupil and the circumstances of their death. The book (with postage and packing) costs £14.99. Details in a separate letter.
• The OGA committee welcomes Jane Jopson (née Harris) as a new committee member.
• We would like to thank you for the kind donations which have been made so far.
• You can now make donations through the website using the secure Stripe system. Just follow the instructions on the screen.
• If you prefer, however, you can send your donation electronically to:
o Account name: Old Godhelmian Association
o Sort Code: 08 92 99
o Account number: 65719682
o Please identify yourself and use OGA as the reference.
• If you prefer to send a cheque, please make it out to Old Godhelmian Association and send to:
o Mrs Caroline Brooks, 2 Treloar Road, Hayling Island, Hants, PO11 9SE.
• The website (theoga.org) has been updated by Richard Hindle with support from Mary Pugh and is now live.
• Archive material (photographs, obituaries, history, etc.) from the original website has mostly been retained.
• We would be grateful for GGS images, in high definition. Until further notice, please send in digital form to Eleanor (email@example.com).
• Currently there are three Facebook pages for ex-pupils of Godalming Grammar School:
o GGS School Reunion 2017 (a closed group set up for that specific purpose)
o Godalming Grammar School Reunion (a public group set up for a specific reunion)
o Godalming Grammar School (a closed general group)
• Godalming College has a Facebook page.
• There is another interesting Facebook page for Godalming Town Past & Present.
• Twitter – @Godalming Grammar School, @ Godalming College
• Instagram – Godalming College
Eleanor Andrews (née Whitcombe) – Secretary
Caroline Brooks (née Bailey) – Treasurer
Shirley Coleman – President
Hazel Freeston (née White)
David Hayes 65 – 72
66 – 71
65 – 72
47 – 54
66 – 71 Susan Hindle (née Potts)
Jane Jopson (née Harris) New Committee Member
Mary Pugh (née Pout) – IT Co-ordinator
Marta Riddle (née Grabiec)
Judy Stoker (née Bennett)
Steve Teague 65 – 72
67 – 74
65 – 72
65 – 72
55 – 62
70 – 77