Old Godhelmian Association Newsletter (2) June 2019
Dear Old Godhelmian,
Welcome to our second newsletter! Since we last wrote a lot of positive things have happened:
• To date (June 2019) 356 people have confirmed their membership of the OGA.
• Kay White, as well as Hazel Freeston and Judy Stoker, have continued to search and supply details of past pupils.
• There are still just over 400 ex-pupils from our list that have not got back to us.
• As well as using social media to promote the OGA, we are going to contact the Surrey Advertiser with the latest information, and later we will use the newspaper as one source of advertising for the reunion on 19th October 2019.
• Many thanks to all those who have sent a contribution to our funds.
• These donations have paid for:
o Sending letters where OGA members are not available by email
o The continued development of the new OGA website
• In future, you will be able to make payments through the website using the secure Stripe system (more details to follow).
• The original website (www.theoga.org) is still available, but it will soon be replaced by an updated version designed by Richard Hindle with support from Mary Pugh. The website address will remain the same, however.
• Archive material (photographs, obituaries, history, etc.) in the original website will be retained, initially accessible via a link to the original site from the new site. Over time (as funding permits) the archive material will be migrated to the new site.
• Many thanks to those who have sent us photos from their school days.
• We also have photos from the original website, but we would be grateful for any further images and in particular images in high definition as some of the older pictures are not very clear. Please send in digital form to Mary (firstname.lastname@example.org).
• Currently there are three Facebook pages for ex-pupils of Godalming Grammar School:
o GGS School Reunion 2017 (a closed group set up for that specific purpose)
o Godalming Grammar School Reunion (a public group set up for a specific reunion)
o Godalming Grammar School (a closed general group)
• Godalming College has a Facebook page.
• There is another interesting Facebook page for Godalming Town Past & Present.
• Twitter – @Godalming Grammar School, @ Godalming College
• Instagram – Godalming College
• Please let us know about any other useful sites.
• We are now starting to organise the informal reunion which will take place at the Inn on the Lake, Ockford Road, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1RH, on Saturday 19th October 2019.
• Following feedback from several OGs, we have revised the starting time to 11.00 a.m. at the Inn, but this is completely flexible and you can come and go as you please until 11 p.m.
• The ceremony for the reinstatement of the Second World War memorial will take place at the College during term time on a school day, probably in November. This is because the College feels it is important that the younger generation is aware of and learns about the service of those who have gone before. However, the OGs can visit the memorial on Saturday 19th October at 10.30 a.m., when a few words will be said by one of the committee and you will be welcome to add your own thoughts.
• We have had a good response so far, but if you haven’t let us know yet, please reply to Eleanor Andrews (email@example.com or 8 Church Street, Bridgnorth WV16 4EQ).
• Food and drinks can be purchased from the Inn (01483 419997, https://www.theinnonthelake.co.uk/) and you are welcome to contact them in advance to pre-order food. The menu is attached. Tea and coffee will be available all day and will be paid for by the OGA.
• You are welcome to bring photos or other memorabilia for others to see, but please make sure they are labelled with your name and contact details, just in case they go astray.
• One of the OGs (Joan Armes) has found the words and music to the school song, so if you know it, we might have a sing-along at some point in the proceedings.
Godalming County Grammar School 90th Anniversary Reunion 2020
• This is planned for Saturday October 17th 2020 and will be a full day event at the College. We hope that as many people as possible will be able to come to celebrate the 90th anniversary of the foundation of the school.
With all good wishes,
The OGA committee
Eleanor Andrews (née Whitcombe) – Secretary
Caroline Brooks (née Bailey) – Treasurer
Shirley Coleman – President
Hazel Freeston (née White)
David Hayes 65 – 72
66 – 71
65 – 72
47 – 54
66 – 71 Susan Hindle (née Potts)
Mary Pugh (née Pout) – IT Co-ordinator
Marta Riddle (née Grabiec)
Judy Stoker (née Bennett)
Steve Teague 65 – 72
65 – 72
65 – 72
55 – 62
70 – 77