Old Godhelmian Association Newsletter (13) July 2021
Dear Old Godhelmian,
We hope you are having a good summer so far!
This newsletter is to provide you with important details about the forthcoming reunion. We shall need answers to various questions as soon as possible please, at least by 31st August 2021. Please reply by using the section at the end of the newsletter.
Reunion 9th October 2021
11.00 to 4.30
Main Event – Godalming College, Tuesley Lane, Godalming GU7 1RS – tour of the main building and grounds, exhibition of memorabilia, plenty of time to chat.
All-Day Tea and Coffee and Homemade Cakes served in the main hall
12.00 to 2.00
Lunch – Please make choices on the form below and bring your own soft and/or alcoholic drinks if you wish.
2.00 to 4.00 BST
Zoom Room (optional) – a chance to connect with your faraway friends whether you are in Godalming or elsewhere.
4.30 to 11.00
Relaxed get-together – The Inn on the Lake, Ockford Rd, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1RH – as an addition to the event held in the daytime.
Lunch + all-day tea and coffee + a contribution to organising costs = £25.00
Just all-day tea and coffee + a contribution to organising costs = £5.00
Food and drink at the Inn to be paid individually by Old Godhelmians.
Send your payment electronically to:
- Account name: Old Godhelmian Association
- Sort Code: 08 92 99
- Account number: 65719682
- Please identify yourself and use OGA lunch or OGA tea as the reference.
Here are the other details you might need if living abroad.
- IBAN number is GB52CPBK08929965719682
- BIC number is CPBKGB22
If you wish to send a cheque, please contact the Treasurer, Caroline Brooks, (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Covid – 19
At present (July 2021) we have no idea where we shall be vis-à-vis the virus in October. Please rest assured that we shall be adhering to all the regulations in place in October, both from the Government and from the College.
The committee has decided to put a pdf of the book (working title, Godalming Grammar: A School on a Hill) on the website so that it can be read online or be printed off if the OG so wishes. We are very much hoping to have the first edition ready for the Reunion. We also hope to have two important authors to write prefaces for us (to be confirmed).
The virtual tour of Godalming College is here: https://www.theoga.org/tour-of-godalming-college
- To date (July 2021) 421 people have confirmed their membership of the OGA and 133 people have registered on the Website.
- Please register on the website (https://www.theoga.org/) in order to access the full range of information and photographs.
The website (www.theoga.org) has been updated by Richard Hindle with support from Mary Pugh and Eleanor Andrews and is now live.
- Archive material (photographs, obituaries, history, etc.) from the original website has mostly been retained.
- We are adding more material all the time.
- We would be grateful for GGS images, in high definition. Until further notice, please send in digital form to Eleanor (email@example.com).
- Currently there are three Facebook pages for ex-pupils of Godalming Grammar School:
- GGS School Reunion 2017 (a closed group set up for that specific purpose)
- Godalming Grammar School Reunion (a public group set up for a specific reunion)
- Godalming Grammar School (a closed general group)
- Godalming College has a Facebook page.
- There is another interesting Facebook page for Godalming Town Past and Present.
- Twitter – @Godalming Grammar School, @ Godalming College
- Instagram – Godalming College
Looking forward to getting your replies. With all good wishes,
The OGA Committee.
Please copy and paste this form into a reply email, or print it off and send it to:
Eleanor Andrews, 8 Church Street, Bridgnorth, WV16 4EQ.
I will be attending the OGA reunion at Godalming College in person
I will be bringing ____ guests to the day-time reunion
I will be attending via Zoom from (place) and would prefer this time (BST)
I wish to contact (individual name and country and/or year cohort) via Zoom
I will be attending the evening event at the Inn on the Lake
I will be bringing ____ guests to the Inn
I will be having lunch at Godalming College and my choices are (please use numbers):
- Starter – Homemade Tomato Soup served with Croutons and hot crusty Bread
- Main – Chicken and Ham Pie Topped with Golden Crust Pastry Served with a Creamy Mash and Garden Peas
- Main – Catch of The Day Served in A Beer Batter, Chunky Chips, Garden Peas and A Homemade Tartar Sauce
- Main – Spinach, Mushroom and Butternut Lasagne Served with Garlic Bread and Green Salad
- Dessert – Hot Vanilla Bread and Butter Pudding Served with Custard
- Dessert – Lemon Cheese Cake served with Vanilla Cream
- Dessert – Fresh Fruit Salad
Water will be available. If you wish to have soft drinks, wine or beer, please bring your own.
I have special dietary requirements _________________________________________________
I only require tea/coffee/cakes