Old Godhelmian Association Newsletter (7)
Dear Old Godhelmian,
Godalming County Grammar School 90th Anniversary Reunion
Sadly, because of the Coronavirus global pandemic, the Committee has decided to postpone the physical 90th Anniversary Reunion on Saturday 17th October 2020 until Saturday 16th October 2021, when we hope there will be a safer environment and we can meet each other face to face with no worries or barriers.
All is not lost, however, and we have plans for a virtual meeting. Please consider the ideas below and feel free to comment and/or send your own thoughts of how we could spend some time together, safely, even though far apart.
Ideas for a celebration in lieu of the OGA Reunion 17th October 2020.
• A Zoom (or Skype) virtual meeting 2.00 – 5.00 with presentations, discussions, conversations in small break-out groups. Please let us know if you would be interested in taking part in this.
• Then-and-now photos with a brief biography (500 words max?) which could be read aloud, recorded or typed up for the website.
• Photos or written pieces could be put on a KUDOBOARD [https://www.kudoboard.com/#how-it-works]
• Recorded video tour of the College, with permission from the Principal. This could be put on the website.
• Themed memories – short pieces (max 500 words?) on sports, dramatic productions, music, staff, lessons, field trips and times abroad, societies etc. Again, these could be voiced, recorded or written and/or put on the website.
• Music – OGs could perhaps record themselves singing or playing a musical instrument. Renditions of the school song would be good.
• Art – Similarly, OGs could present photos of artworks that they had done (or craftwork?).
• Swap favourite recipes or gardening tips or show samples from a collection. Again, these could be written or voiced and recorded for the website.
• A quiz, based on the website, could be carried out prior to the date of the reunion, with the answers being given on the day of the reunion.
• Wherever feasible, those with no online equipment could receive print-outs of documents by mail.
• To date (July 2020) 393 people have confirmed their membership of the OGA. However, only 85 people have registered on the Website.
• Please register on the website (theoga.org) in order to access the full range of information and photographs.
• We would like to thank you for the kind donations which have been made so far.
• You can now make donations through the website using the secure Stripe system. Just follow the instructions on the screen.
• If you prefer, however, you can send your donation electronically to:
o Account name: Old Godhelmian Association
o Sort Code: 08 92 99
o Account number: 65719682
o Please identify yourself and use OGA as the reference.
• If you prefer to send a cheque, please make it out to Old Godhelmian Association and send to:
o Mrs Caroline Brooks, 24A Meath Close, Hayling Island, Hampshire, PO11 9QN.
• The website (www.theoga.org) has been updated by Richard Hindle with support from Mary Pugh and is now live.
• Archive material (photographs, obituaries, history, etc.) from the original website has mostly been retained.
• We are adding more material all the time.
• We would be grateful for GGS images, in high definition. Until further notice, please send in digital form to Eleanor (firstname.lastname@example.org).
• Currently there are three Facebook pages for ex-pupils of Godalming Grammar School:
o GGS School Reunion 2017 (a closed group set up for that specific purpose)
o Godalming Grammar School Reunion (a public group set up for a specific reunion)
o Godalming Grammar School (a closed general group)
• Godalming College has a Facebook page.
• There is another interesting Facebook page for Godalming Town Past & Present.
• Twitter – @Godalming Grammar School, @ Godalming College
• Instagram – Godalming College
We hope that you and your family and friends are safe and well as these difficult times continue. Best wishes for the rest of the summer, from your committee:
Eleanor Andrews (née Whitcombe) – Secretary
Caroline Brooks (née Bailey) – Treasurer
Shirley Coleman – President
Hazel Freeston (née White)
David Hayes 65 – 72
66 – 71
65 – 72
47 – 54
66 – 71 Susan Hindle (née Potts)
Jane Jopson (née Harris) – Archive
Mary Pugh (née Pout) – IT Co-ordinator
Marta Riddle (née Grabiec) – Archive
Judy Stoker (née Bennett)
Steve Teague 65 – 72
67 – 74
65 – 72
65 – 72
55 – 62
70 – 77