Old Godhelmian Association Newsletter (4)
Dear Old Godhelmian,
Since we last contacted you a lot of exciting things have happened in the OGA.
Reunion 19th Oct 2019
Nearly 80 ex-pupils and staff attended an informal reunion on Saturday 19th October 2019 at the Inn on the Lake in Godalming. They came from all over the country, with one Old Godhelmian even flying in from Italy. Those present were from classes ranging over the four decades prior to the school switching to becoming a 6th Form College. Before the gathering, a smaller group had met at Godalming College to view the Second World War Triptych which honours the former pupils who died in that conflict. The OGs relaxed, chatted and caught up over coffee and then lunch. Old friendships were renewed and new connections were made. It was a lot of fun.
Rededication of the Second World War Memorial
At 11.00 a.m. on 11th November 2019 several Old Godhelmians, amongst them Marta Riddle (née Grabiec) Rod Weale and Marian Muskett (née Wakefield), joined the students and staff of Godalming College at the rededication of the Second World War memorial triptych. Also present were the Mayor of Godalming, Penny Rivers, the Mayor of Waverley, Mary Foryszewski, the History teacher leading research into the memorial, Ruth Nixon, and some students involved in investigating the stories of the men who gave their lives in the conflict. One student, Kat Steel, talked about meeting the 100-year-old OG Gwen Comerford in June and how that had inspired their research. After a welcome from the Principal, Emma Young, the party, together with hundreds of students and staff, stood outside for the two-minute silence. A student, Ben Wili, played the Reveille and the Last Post. Afterwards the main group went inside to the triptych and a member of the non-teaching staff, John Richardson laid a wreath. Mr. Richardson had served with the Royal Navy for many years and had refurbished the memorial earlier in the year. Later participants were able to discuss and examine the students’ research findings over refreshments.
• To date (December 2019) 378 people have confirmed their membership of the OGA.
• The “Surrey Advertiser” Education section (1st November 2019) published an article about the Reunion on 19th October 2019 and included a couple of photos of OGs.
• Thanks to Marta, and with some committee collaboration on the wording, we applied for a grant from Godalming Town Council in October but, unfortunately, we were not successful this time. We have asked for some feedback from the organisation so that we can apply with more confidence next year.
• We would like to thank you for the kind donations which have been made so far.
• You can now make donations through the website using the secure Stripe system. Just follow the instructions on the screen.
• If you prefer, however, you can send your donation electronically to:
o Account name: Old Godhelmian Association
o Sort Code: 08 92 99
o Account number: 65719682
o Please identify yourself and use OGA as the reference.
• If you prefer to send a cheque, please make it out to Old Godhelmian Association and send to:
o Mrs Caroline Brooks, 2 Treloar Road, Hayling Island, Hants, PO11 9SE.
• The website (theoga.org) has been updated by Richard Hindle with support from Mary Pugh and is now live.
• Archive material (photographs, obituaries, history, etc.) from the original website has mostly been retained.
• Please register on the website in order to access the full range of information and photographs.
• We would be grateful for GGS images, in high definition. Until further notice, please send in digital form to Eleanor (firstname.lastname@example.org).
• Currently there are three Facebook pages for ex-pupils of Godalming Grammar School:
o GGS School Reunion 2017 (a closed group set up for that specific purpose)
o Godalming Grammar School Reunion (a public group set up for a specific reunion)
o Godalming Grammar School (a closed general group)
• Godalming College has a Facebook page.
• There is another interesting Facebook page for Godalming Town Past & Present.
• Twitter – @Godalming Grammar School, @ Godalming College
• Instagram – Godalming College
• Please let us know about any other useful sites.
Godalming County Grammar School 90th Anniversary Reunion 2020
• The College buildings have been booked for Saturday October 17th 2020 – details of timings and activities to be confirmed later. The Reunion will be a full day event to include an optional Founders’ Day service at St Peter and St Paul Godalming. We are looking for bell ringers and also an organist amongst us to play a couple of hymns and perhaps something rousing like Widor’s toccata. We hope that as many people as possible will be able to come to celebrate the 90th anniversary of the foundation of the school. We welcome any suggestions you may have for the programme.
Finally, we would like to wish you all
A Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
The OGA committee
Eleanor Andrews (née Whitcombe) – Secretary
Caroline Brooks (née Bailey) – Treasurer
Shirley Coleman – President
Hazel Freeston (née White)
David Hayes 65 – 72
66 – 71
65 – 72
47 – 54
66 – 71 Susan Hindle (née Potts)
Mary Pugh (née Pout) – IT Co-ordinator
Marta Riddle (née Grabiec)
Judy Stoker (née Bennett)
Steve Teague 65 – 72
65 – 72
65 – 72
55 – 62
70 – 77