Old Godhelmian Association Newsletter (14) August 2021
Dear Old Godhelmian,
We hope you are all well and getting back to some sort of normality, while at the same time being cautious.
Thank you for the many replies we have received about the forthcoming reunion. If you have not already responded, please reply by 10th September 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org or to Eleanor Andrews, 8 Church Street, Bridgnorth, WV16 4EQ.
Reunion 9th October 2021
11.00 to 4.30 BST – Main Event – Godalming College, Tuesley Lane, Godalming GU7 1RS.
Please let us know if you will be attending, if you will be bringing a guest and what your lunch choices are.
Tea, coffee and biscuits will be available all day. We are looking forward to attendees contributing to the reunion in terms of a Collectors’ Corner for anyone who would like to display a small sample of their material or memorabilia. We would also like your memories of school. We will provide a template to collect name, contact details, dates at school, house and memories either at or before the reunion.
12.00 to 2.00 – Lunch – Bring your own soft and/or alcoholic drinks if you wish. Let us know if you have any particular dietary requirements.
|1. Starter – Homemade Tomato Soup served with Croutons and hot crusty Bread|
|2. Main – Chicken and Ham Pie Topped with Golden Crust Pastry Served with a Creamy Mash and Garden Peas|
|3. Main – Catch of The Day Served in A Beer Batter, Chunky Chips, Garden Peas and A Homemade Tartar Sauce|
|4. Main – Spinach, Mushroom and Butternut Lasagne Served with Garlic Bread and Green Salad|
|5. Dessert – Hot Vanilla Bread and Butter Pudding Served with Custard|
|6. Dessert – Lemon Cheese Cake served with Vanilla Cream|
|7. Dessert – Fresh Fruit Salad|
2.00 to 4.00 BST – Zoom Room (optional) – a chance to connect with your faraway friends. Please send any requests to email@example.com and we will try to accommodate you.
4.30 to 11.00 – Relaxed get-together – The Inn on the Lake, Ockford Rd, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1RH.
Please let us know if you will be attending and if you will be bringing a guest.
Lunch + all-day tea and coffee + a contribution to organising costs = £25.00
Just all-day tea and coffee + a contribution to organising costs = £5.00
Food and drink at the Inn to be paid individually by Old Godhelmians.
Send your payment electronically to:
- Account name: Old Godhelmian Association
- Sort Code: 08 92 99
- Account number: 65719682
- Please identify yourself and use OGA lunch or OGA tea as the reference.
Here are the other details you might need if living abroad.
- IBAN number is GB52CPBK08929965719682
- BIC number is CPBKGB22
If you wish to send a cheque, please contact the interim Treasurer, Sue Hindle, (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Covid – 19
At present (August 2021) we have no idea where we shall be vis-à-vis the virus in October. Please rest assured that we shall be adhering to all the regulations in place in October, both from the Government and from the College.
Caroline Brooks has done a great job as our treasurer since the new committee took over running the OGA in 2018. However, for personal reasons, she now has to step back from that role, although she will remain on the committee to offer her very sound judgment and advice. Therefore, we need someone to take on this responsibility as soon as possible. Accounting or business experience would be useful, but not essential. Mainly we need someone reliable, numerate and enthusiastic about the OGA to become part of the committee. You would need to do a small amount of banking and attend Zoom meetings, generally once a month, to present the latest figures. In the meantime, Sue Hindle has kindly agreed to be interim treasurer. If you would like to offer your help in this field, please email Shirley Coleman (email@example.com).
- We hope to have an outline of the hardcopy book, Godalming Grammar: A School on a Hill, ready for the Reunion in October.
- Louis de Bernières, author of novels, poems and short stories, including Captain Corelli’s Mandolin (1994) and Ben Elton, Old Godhelmian, writer (Blackadder, The Young Ones, Upstart Crow), actor, director and comedian have agreed to write introductions for us.
- We are seeking a sponsor to help us with the financial aspect of this project. Please let us know as soon as possible if you have any ideas or contacts.
- To date (August 2021) 424 people have confirmed their membership of the OGA and 136 people have registered on the Website.
- Please register on the website (https://www.theoga.org/) in order to access the full range of information and photographs.
The website (www.theoga.org) has been updated by Richard Hindle with support from Mary Pugh and Eleanor Andrews and is now live.
- Archive material (photographs, obituaries, history, etc.) from the original website has mostly been retained.
- We are adding more material all the time.
- We would be grateful for GGS images, in high definition. Until further notice, please send in digital form to Eleanor (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Currently there are three Facebook pages for ex-pupils of Godalming Grammar School:
- GGS School Reunion 2017 (a closed group set up for that specific purpose)
- Godalming Grammar School Reunion (a public group set up for a specific reunion)
- Godalming Grammar School (a closed general group)
- Godalming College has a Facebook page.
- There is another interesting Facebook page for Godalming Town Past and Present.
- Twitter – @Godalming Grammar School, @ Godalming College
- Instagram – Godalming College
All good wishes,
The OGA Committee.